The History of St. Paul’s United Church
Our roots date back to 1893 when a group of settlers took up land near what later became the town of Sutherland. Ministers travelled from Moose Jaw with summer services provided by theology students from eastern Canada.
1910 - July 7, the corner stone was laid for St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church at Egbert Avenue and 110 th Street. September 16, the first worship service was held with Rev. W. Wilson.
1912 - Rev. R. Fotheringham was called and served as minister until 1919.
- - Rev. J. Manly began ministry with the congregation.
- - St. Paul’s became a congregation in the United Church of Canada.
1926 - Rev. Manly completed his service with St. Paul’s.
1927 - Rev. J. Cuddeford arrived and served the congregation until 1930.
1930 - Revs. J.Pratt and J. Donnell jointly served St. Paul’s and Wesley. Methodist Church until 1934.
1934 - Rev. A. Elliott was called as minister and served to 1947
OnJanuary 17, 1943, fire destroyed the church. Services were moved to Sutherland School auditorium.
1946 - September 29 the new church building was dedicated.
1947 - Rev. Dr. W. Wilkinson was called and served until 1955.
1955 - Rev. G. Speers was called to the congregation until 1959.
1959 - Rev. E. Morrison was called and served to 1966
- - New sanctuary and hall were erected at Egbert Avenue and 105th Street on land donated by Dr. B. A. Jackson.
1966 - Rev. W. Stevens was called and served until 1976.
1976 - Rev. W. Brown was called and he had been in MooseJaw.
auditorium was added
- In 1985, M. McKechney did a year internship with the congregation.
- In 1986, G. Wallace did an internship.
- In 1987, Rev. M.
McKechney was called to join the minister staff.
1989 - Mary Dodds began training in the Western Field-Based Program. Rev. Brown’s ministry ended.
1993 - Cindy Dean Morrison hired as a staff associate in youth ministry. The Living Links project began with Carol Stevenson-Seller and Maureen Cline as staff associates.