The History of St. Paul’s United Church
Our roots date back to 1893 when a group of settlers took up land near what later became the town of Sutherland. Ministers travelled from Moose Jaw with summer services provided by theology students from eastern Canada.
1910 - July 7, the corner stone was laid for St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church at Egbert Avenue and 110 th Street. September 16, the first worship service was held with Rev. W. Wilson.
1912 - Rev. R. Fotheringham arrived and served as minister until 1919.
- - Rev. J. Manly began ministry with the congregation.
- - St. Paul’s became a congregation in the United Church of Canada.
1926 - Rev. Manly completed his service with St. Paul’s.
1927 - Rev. J. Cuddeford arrived and served the congregation until 1930.
1930 - Revs. J.Pratt and J. Donnell jointly served St. Paul’s and Wesley. Methodist Church until 1934.
1934 - Rev. A. Elliott was called as minister and served to 1947
1946 - September 29 the new church building was dedicated.
1947 - Rev. W. Wilkinson arrived and served until 1955.
1955 - Rev. G. Speers served the congregation until 1959.
1959 - Rev. E. Morrison was called and served to 1966
- - New
sanctuary and hall were erected at Egbert Avenue and 105th Street on land donated by Dr.
1966 - Rev. W. Stevens was called and served until 1976.
1976 - Rev. W. Brown was called and arrived from Ireland.
auditorium was added
- M. McKechney did an internship with the congregation.
- G. Wallace did an internship.
- - Rev. M.
McKechney joined the ministry staff.
1989 - Mary Dodds began training in the Western Field-Based Program. Rev. Brown’s ministry ended.
1993 - Cindy Dean Morrison hired as a staff associate. The Living Links project began with Carol Stevenson-Seller and Maureen Cline.
1994 - Mary Dodds died suddenly before being commissioned.